SyntaxHighlighter

Saturday 13 February 2010

Building a web application

There has been a lot of buzz about Personal Kanbans recently, many of my favourite bloggers and tweeters have been recommending them as a way of organising work and becoming more efficient.  So I’ve decided to give it a go.
But being a software geek, I don’t want some cumbersome board hiding in a dark cupboard.  (Our office is open plan, so there is no wall space)  I want it online so I can access it from anywhere.
I had a quick look on the internet to see if there was anything that looked interesting, and then realised using someone else’s is no fun, I should write my own.
So the decision was made.  I’m going to write my own Kanban website, using the following tools/techniques:
  • Ruby
  • Rails
  • TDD Development
  • Open source
  • Cloud hosting (if possible)
  • Blog about it.
The only problem is, I have no real experience in any of these. (As you may have already guessed)  Which is what this is really about.
OK, building my own online Kanban board is not the most useful of ideas, but learning the list of things above is.  The Kanban thing is an excuse.  Not that I’m giving in on Kanban at all, in fact I’ve started a board just for this project:
P1533_13-02-10
I plan to blog regularly on how the project is going and any interesting info/resources I find on the way.
Keep watching the blog for updates.

No comments: